Monday 20 September 2010

Looking Back

Hi,
It's been a long while since I wrote or even referred to this blog but strangely my own blog came up as a result in a google search tonight and this prompted me to write! Not sure if anyone reads this anymore but here it goes anyway!
I'm now back living in the UK having spent a year working at an international school in Italy. As the years have begun to pass since I was in Eritrea I look back with increasing fondness on my time there- probably directly related to the decreasing memory of intestinal parasites, long bus queues and a shortage of fuel! Eritrea is a country of great people who are living in increasingly difficult circumstances. They are kind and share everything they have- often going without so that they can offer guests the best they have. Unfortunately Eritrea faces huge challenges- documented on websites such as Reporters without borders and Amnesty international. VSO are no longer able to work in Eritrea. The program was closed as it became increasingly difficult through the denial of working visas for volunteers amongst other restrictions. I hope that the work started by volunteers will have made some difference for Eritrean children and their families. For the sake of the lovely people who looked after me, please find out about this wonderful country and help raise awareness of the difficulties people are living.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Liz,
Glad you have fond memories. I enjoyed your updates and photos. If you happen to be in London, let me know, I would love to buy you a drink. You have been adopted as Eritrean :)

lesjarden said...

Hi Liz...thank you for the blog...really enjoyed it...I was born in asmara and left a few years back. this brings back all the fond memories..thanks again...and keep posting as I'll keep reading...
Eden

Tesfit said...

Hi liz

I have read your Blog with interest, due to the similarities one encounters as a volunteer. My time in Hirghigo was also well deserving experience, although in my case it was easier with the local languages,becuase I was brought up in the nearby areas.
I hope you have learned a lot from the Local teachers and helpers including their supportive nature.

God Bless you

Gilly said...

Hi Liz,
I'm looking for RVs to interview as part of my dissertation. I need teachers who have returned to primary school teaching after their placements. If you'd be interested in being interviewed or know anyone else (RVs for VSO) that would, please get in touch asap: gillyclifford@gmail.com
Thanks,
Gilly