Wednesday 1 October 2008

Finally an update from me!!

Hi everyone! I'm staying in Asmara this week following bike training and whilst waiting for a new sim card. It seems that the VSO office computer is currently accessing the internet at a reasonable speed so I thought I'd try to update you all!!!
As I mentioned I've been back in Asmara for a week. We had three days of off-road motorbike training which was brilliant fun!! We were riding over rocks like pros by the end of the second day!! Managed to weave in and out of the row of cones at 2.5 metres distance - the test of whether or not you are allowed to ride a motorbike on the road in Eritrea??!!! The distance is actually 3 metres but I think Yonus (the tutor) was trying to push us a bit!
On Saturday we went to see the celebrations for the orthodox festival of 'the finding of the true cross'. There was a short play about finding the cross - we think!!! Then quite a bit of chanting and rumming and then they set fire to a huge pointed bonfire - about 20 foot tall! The way the fire falls is supposed to indicate the luck for the coming year - it fell the best way- though apparently it is possibly fixed so that it falls that way every year!!
Have been visiting lots of coffee houses drinking macciato and working my way through the endless choice of cakes - not sure when this weight loss is going to happen! I need to get back to Segeneiti for the sake of my wallet and my waistline.
Things have been closed this week due to Eid but tomorrow we are hoping the Eritel office will be open and I'll be able to collect my new sim card. There has been a bit of a mix up - the old number is now not mine but another vso's number and I will hopefully get a new number tomorrow. It is not possible to text in or out of Eritrea but I would love to receive calls!!! These can be pretty pricey but mum is working out the cheapest phone card available and I'll keep you posted on that!
Ok, better get back to the pension now - desperately hoping this post will load!
L xx

No comments: